Thursday, May 21, 2009

No more prisoners!

This week I built a landing board on the breeder loft and made an opening so the breeder pigeons could go in and out. The weather has been beautiful and my other pigeons just love to come and go. My breeders are my most valuable birds, most have never flown before, several were acquired from other lofts. Giving these birds their freedom is risky as I might lose some. However, at this point I have enough good birds so I don't need to worry about losing a few. So far so good, all of the pigeons now have their freedom throughout the day, I do close up the lofts at night.

2 comments:

Papa said...

Good for you! I am willing to bet that all your breeders will come back to your coop, barring an accident. If they go out at will during the day, they are finding things to eat, and therefore helping your budget during the Obama Great Recession!

Chip said...

The breeders are being a little cautious which is good. They will need some time to learn to fly, land without injuring themselves, build endurance, etc. Except for the young birds from the breeder loft, they are like zig zag zoom evasive maneuvering missiles!

I don't think the pigeons are finding any food. However, our little chickens are bug eating machines!