Monday, June 8, 2009

Wild Turkeys


We've spotted wild turkeys on the farm recently on several occasions. Yesterday afternoon I decided to bush hog some brushy area under the power line and I spotted a momma turkey on her nest. I was going real slow through some real thick heavy growth and I was standing up on the tractor so I could take a good look at what I was driving through when I saw a small opening and I stopped. There was a big brown bird sitting on a nest looking at me. At first I thought it was a big duck. I was up there on the tractor, the tractor and bush hog were running making a bunch of noise, and the turkey was just sitting completely still looking at me. I decided to take a picture, but by the time I did the turkey flew away into the trees. I did take a picture of the nest, there were at least 6 large eggs in it. The nest is basically only accessible by air. I then backed the tractor up, cut a wide path around the nest area, and left. Debby thinks (and I agree) that I should probably wait until Fall to cut any more of that area.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cant wait to see pictures of the babies!