Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Oil Moat for bee hives

I noticed that small black ants were getting into my bee hives so I checked my bee book and it said to sprinkle cinnamon on the top of the inner cover and around the hive or to install an oil moat on the hive stand. 

Yesterday I tried the cinnamon and it did help, today I installed the oil moat.   The oil moat I made consists of four round plastic pans about 6" in diameter and about 2" deep.  In the middle of each pan I put a small piece of wood that is about 3" in diameter and about 3" tall.   I set the moats on top of my cinder block supports and the wooden hive base sits on top of the wooden blocks.  My helper John then poured oil into the plastic pans.  We finished the install by putting boards over the top of the base to help keep rain from getting into the oil moats. 



2 comments:

Don Wisenor said...

Hi, Chip. I found your blog while surfing the internet. I remember you and your brother Greg from your dad's bar/restaurant in Dunn Loring back in the '80s. That's almost 30 years ago! You and your family seem to be doing well. God's blessings.

chip said...

Thanks for the nice note! Ah, the good old Cedar Inn Restaurant days, lot's of great memories there. The Piller family is doing well. I hope that you are well also.