Sunday, April 10, 2011

Birds

About a month ago I was outside doing chores in the morning and I saw a large bird flying over the field headed towards me. I watched as it approached, it was very big. The bird was just gliding, flying calmly, straight towards our house. The bird was black and had "finger" feathers spread out at the end of it's wings. As the bird got closer I could see that it was all black except that it's head was white. It was a bald eagle. I don't remember ever seeing one, and this one flew right over me.

At the pond in our upper field we have a nesting pair of geese, a nesting pair of mallard ducks, and some wood ducks. A couple of weeks ago the new NRCS agent came by for a visit and he took a few pictures and notes and said it was unusual to have those three species all at the same place.

A couple of days ago I saw two large birds flying over the farm near dusk, it was a pair of blue herons. I usually only see one blue heron at a time, it was nice to see a pair.

No comments: