Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pigeon race returns

If you ask a pigeon fancier about race returns it means how many birds came home vs. the number of birds shipped. Occasionally there are races that are called "smashes" because of low returns. Low returns could be due to a number of factors including weather, predators, etc.

Today our pigeon racing club flew it's second 2009 young bird race. The release station was Hammondville, AL which is 113 air miles from my loft calculated from GPS coordinates. I shipped 20 birds to the race, the same 20 birds I sent last week to Chattanooga. I got 21 birds back both weeks. How? Well, I just checked my loft and found that I have a race bird from one of my club mates that followed my birds home. Same thing happened last week although the extra bird was different both weeks.

I did not win the race but my birds did well, they arrived home in 2 hours and 38 minutes.

No comments: