Monday, August 17, 2009

Weekend update


Spent more time this weekend mowing grass, working on pasture. I've now got 102 hours on the tractor. In a couple of weeks I want to move the horses from the pasture near the house to the pasture that's behind the well house (plenty of good forage there), so I have to get the fence ready and work out the water situation. We don't want the horses to get into the pond.

When we move the horses I will then do some pasture renovation, I plan to mow it down pretty good, then get some timothy, orchard grass, and endophyte free fescue seed, and plant it using a no till drill. Planting time for these is August 15 - October 1. We may apply some lime in October.

I need to run the electric fence for the new pasture along the fence line by the pond that connects two pastures. It's an overgrown area and will take a lot of work to clean up. There are a bunch of cherry trees, holly trees, maples, etc. growing near this area.

While working near the pond I saw that the pond was completely full, in fact the spring was trickling and there was a little flow. I was surprised because although we had a lot or rain in July we've not had rain recently. During the wet season, or when there is a lot of rain, the springs really flow and the water flows out of a notch in the dam and falls a few feet and continues on down to White Oak Creek.

No comments: