Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pigeon Racing update

Last weekend we (www.smokymountainclub.org) held our first pigeon race for the 2009 young bird season. The release point was in Chattanooga, TN which is 71 air miles from my pigeon loft. I sent 20 birds to the race and got 21 birds back, all 20 of mine plus one from another club member. My first two birds were AU 2009 SMC 420 and 412.

On Monday morning I took the extra bird about 20 miles from home on my way to work and released it, the owner and I had agreed to this the night before. When I checked my loft that evening the bird was back in my loft! I called the bird's owner and he said to put it in a crate and he would come and pick it up on Tuesday morning, which he did.

Our second race is planned for this Saturday August 29 with a liberation point in Hammondville, AL. Distance for me is 112 air miles. The birds are looking pretty good although they are in various stages of their annual feather molt. The weather forecast is questionable for this weekend so we might not fly as scheduled.

No comments: